Saturday, February 17, 2007

Short post

Thank you, Representative Campfield. While I disagree strongly with most everything you say, you obviously put a lot of effort into your position, and people like you help me practice patience. That said...

What do you support? I see your opposition to the Governor and his policies, and to the Democratic party in general, but I don't see what you stand for. I am not a constituent, so I have no expectation of an answer. (If I REALLY wanted an answer, I would email the Rep. I am just posting it here.) I don't beleive that we need to have an alternative plan in order to complain, but I do kind of expect our elected leaders to go further than just saying "I don't like it." I would like to see his bill regarding issuing death certificates for aborted fetuses pulled. I will be contacting my repsentatives asking them to oppose it if it should ever get a vote. If you don't know about it-this is a bad bill. It's bad because it doesn't do what the Rep says. It's bad because it only divides us from each other. It's bad because it is not a stretch of the imagination to see this being used to harm women.

It is wonderful for people to oppose abortion. They have every right to do so. They need to be honest about their objectives when they do so, however. Stacey Campfield is trying to use his position in the General Assembly to take a sneaky swipe at abortion-and that is wrong.

Abortion is a legal and safe medical procedure. As such, it deserves the same treatment as any other. Leave abortion to those whom it affects. Let's stop trying to reverse Roe vs. Wade, or making thinly veiled attempts to get information about who is having abortions. If you just want to know how many (like you say), that info is available. If you want to know about statistics such as race and age and geography, it's not really your business, but do a study.

For a very good perspective on this issue and other issues facing (mostly) women, check out Women's Health News. The blogger is a friend of mine, and always makes valid points.


snikta

No comments: