Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Goin' to meeting

United States Senator Bob Corker will be at the courthouse here at 2pm for a "town hall meeting". I'm a little skeptical about the true nature of this event. At a true town hall meeting, ideas are brought forth by the public, and everyone there is free to discuss and offer solutions. That is the purest form of democracy. I don't expect that to be the case. I'm sure that the Senator has a speech written, and that there will be no opportunity for the public to comment. There may be a few plants by the local Republican party with softball questions, but I'm a little doubtful of even that.

I disagree with Mr. Corker's stated position on some issues, like abortion and the Iraq war. But he did vote to increase the federal minimum wage, while my representative in the House did not. Shame on you, Rep. Davis. Both TN Senators voted "Yea" on the Fair Minimum Wage Act of 2007. I am thankful for that. I look forward with interest (mixed with a small amount of hope and a little trepidation) to hearing what the Senator has to say this afternoon. I shall post later with my thoughts on what he says.


snikta

No comments: